So, it’s about that time of the year again. Finals, counting down until summer vacation and of course MOVE OUT. Before you can live out your fantasy of lounging in the sun on a raft in the pool with an ice cold lemonade in your hand, you have to pack up all of your stuff.
Normally this is considered a chore and even a burden during the rush of the end of the year, but what if packing up and moving out of your dorm, apartment or house could be simple? Well, it can be.
Here are a few tips on how to get your dorm ready for move out:
- Make a Plan – Just like everything in life, it’s better to lay out a guide for yourself so you don’t forget to pack anything or run out of time.
- Get Prepared: Make sure you set things like breakables aside so that you have time to pack them at the end. Give yourself enough time (with maybe an extra hour or two) so you can study before your last final instead of worrying about those last three boxes.
- Supply Yourself: Check to see that you have everything you need. Boxes? Packing tape? Bubble wrap? Newspaper? Suitcases? Make a thorough list for these items and make sure you have them all before starting. You don’t want to make four runs to the store while everyone is saying goodbyes with a pizza party (yum!)
- Decide what to do: If you’re shipping your items home, storing with a company, friend or at a self-storage locker, make a decision and do it quick! You don’t want to be the one asking a friend to lend you their truck last minute or wind up paying inflated pick up prices with movers.
- For mattresses, make sure you box or cover them with plastic to keep dust and bed bugs out.
- TVs are always best in boxes or packing blankets, and be sure to keep your remote somewhere safe!
- Dressers and desks should be covered with plastic or cardboard to prevent scratches or other damage. Don’t forget to empty your items and secure all of the drawers and shelves so they don’t open or separate during the move.
- If you’re storing your items, don’t forget to set aside the stuff you want to take home this summer (hint hint: shorts, bathing suits, flip flops, passport etc.)
- Driving home? Make a plan for which route you’re going to take and have your playlist ready to rock! (Don’t forget to fill the tank)
- During your exam study breaks, pack a little. It gets you moving and you’ll get work done while you’re on your break. (Packing playlist anyone?)
For more info on packing and some awesome tips for packing up specific items, check out our FAQ.
This article was contributed by our friends at Dorm Room Movers.