2015 has just begun. As part of your New Year’s resolution, you may have promised yourself to have an even better year than the last. Now, the question is how. And it’s not hard! All it comes down to is health and happiness.
Having good health isn’t complicated. You don’t need to overexert yourself at the gym or become a vegetarian. Being happy doesn’t have to involve winning the lottery either. There are a few steps to enjoying the year ahead, and they are simple to follow. Here’s how to start:
- Meditate. Not only is meditation relaxing, but it also lowers blood pressure. It increases the production of serotonin, a chemical that improves mood balance. Simply close your eyes and breathe, and you will start feeling the benefits. You may wish to get a short meditation guide for your computer or phone.
- Work out. Working out releases endorphins in the body, which reduces stress levels. It goes without saying that exercise improves one’s self-confidence, due to pride in athletic abilities. Let’s not forget that exercise prevents cardiovascular disease. 2.5 hours of moderate aerobic activity are recommended per week, or 1.25 hours of vigorous activity. I know you’re likely saying “ugh” at this point, but it could really be as simple as joining a sports team or completing a 10-minute routine every morning.
- Set a few goals for yourself. One of the keys to being happy is being productive and successful. Set a few small goals for yourself throughout the year. You will be amazed at the feeling of delight once you achieve them.
- Eat healthy. Eating the right foods has been proven to improve your mood. A new European study concludes that eating junk food regularly increases one’s risk of depression by 51%. Eating junk food and fast food once in a while shouldn’t dampen your spirits, though. Try eating in more, limiting sweets, and be conscious of the unhealthy snacks you do ingest.
- Surround yourself with positive people. The key to being happy is being positive. A positive attitude will get you through almost any situation. It’s important that your social circle is as positive as you are. You don’t want to be brought down by Debbie Downers.
Having a healthy and happy 2015 is all based on your mindset. You don’t have to spend tons of money to be happy or become a professional athlete to be healthy. All it comes down to is accomplishing a few realistic goals, eating healthy, exercising, meditating and having a positive group of friends. Happy 2015!